I made the Peppermint jumpsuit!

Peppermint (5)

And it was…okay. The pattern is free (!) and found here. I think the style is actually pretty impeccable (is that a self-brag since I made one?) but I didn’t really adore the process of sewing it, and my fitting is very so-so.

I genuinely love this fabric, a light, soft black-and-white ikat cotton that somehow just doesn’t wrinkle, but it was so soft that the 3/8ths   seam allowances shredded easily. Not much manhandling or unpicking allowed.

Peppermint (2)Peppermint (14)

I added pockets, but about 5” too low! They’re comfortable for my hands but visually they should probably be sitting on my high hip, not my thigh. However, I think the way the pockets gape indicates that my thighs needed the extra breathing room, so it might have been a lucky mistake. I cut the size that should have yielded me a couple inches of ease by measuring the pattern pieces, but it’s a close thing!

Peppermint (8)Peppermint (9)

When I first tried on the jumpsuit I was really disappointed. The back gaped inches away from my body and the front was worse. It was loose, without being either easy or breezy. I needed to lose some length from the straps – eventually I settled on a whopping 1 ¼ inches from the front strap and a relatively discreet ¾ inches from the back. Turning the jumpsuit right-sides-out through the burritoed shoulder straps was nearly my Waterloo the first time, so there was no way I was going back in. I just tucked the excess under and stitched it down by machine! Thank you, black fabric! As you can see there’s a sizable lump on my shoulder now but at least the back sits fairly flush.

A note on the burrito method: wonderful in practice, a bit crap in effect, at least this time. I just couldn’t get the narrow shoulder strap to give birth to the second half of the jumpsuit. Eventually I opened part of the armscye seam to release the pressure and was able to turn the garment! I topstitched that opening shut, which was technically visible though hard to see, and eventually irrelevant because of the further shortening of the straps. Not my most notable success with a sewing technique.

Peppermint (10)Peppermint (4)

Shortening the straps had a knock-on effect, obviously. The bust darts now ended too high, and the high bust area, as you can see clearly above, is simultaneously too tight and too long. I am stymied. STYMIED. No idea what to do about that.

Peppermint (12)

Also, the zip now ended higher up on my back. I can get out of this on my own, but not into it, making this jumpsuit strictly a weekend garment! My coworkers are swell but there’s no one I have a zip-me-up-I-just-peed relationship with. I also added a button and loop at the top, since my zipper installation was too low and not right (sensing a theme?). I used this trick from Self Assembly Required for the loop!

Absolutely no issue with the body length though, even after my changes! So that was nice!

Peppermint (3)

I cut everything on the fold rather than my usual habit of cutting as stingily as possible on a single layer. My bum appears to be having a conversation with Woodstock from Peanuts. IT’S FINE.

I wouldn’t make this again without some serious tweaks, but it could be a good way to grow my understanding. Fitting above the bust is a big ol’ mystery to me. Once I read some books I could maybe sew this again as a practical test of new knowledge. Later. Much, much later.

Dang it, I still like this garment, though.

Thanks for finishing this saga! Any tips on fitting the high bust area? Which fitting zones give you grief?

Peppermint (1)Peppermint (13)

BYE!

Pattern: Peppermint Magazine free jumpsuit pattern

Pattern cost: $0.00

Size: between D and E

Supplies: 4 yards of black and white ikat cotton, Etsy, $23.40; zipper, Gather Here, $3.00; thread from stash; hair elastics, CVS, $3.71 (and I’ve got a ton left over for the same use in the future)

Total time: 8.75 hours

Total cost: $30.11

4 thoughts on “I made the Peppermint jumpsuit!

  1. Looks good on you but fitting can be fiddly. I have made quite a few garments for a friend of mine who is short between shoulder and breast point but normal between breast point and waist, so often shorten and lengthen lines are in the wrong place. Her garments need shortening between breast and shoulder which may be your problem too, but that’s just a guess. Good luck with further variations.

    Like

    1. Thanks for the advice – I’ve actually made that adjustment to one other pattern, but it was a knit dress, and for some reason it didn’t occur to me to try it in a woven! That’ll be the first thing I try in a muslin.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s